Friday, August 10, 2012

How adventurous should a wine list be?


A response to New York Times article: Should a Wine List Educate or Merely Flatter You? 

I believe that a wine list should not only educate consumers but ease them outside of their comfort zone of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay and introduce them to the Xinomavros and the Pecorinos of the world.  Isn’t that why we as consumers go to new, interesting and innovative restaurants and wine bars?  If we wanted to recognize every wine on the list maybe we should stick to Olive Garden and Applebee’s?  Personally I love discovering a restaurant with an interesting wine list and a selection that is hard to find or unknown to me, this shows me that the sommelier has taken great care in selecting the wines.



After a successful launch of our new “Obscure Wines of the World” menu last night, it came as no surprise to me that people come to the Barrel Room and embrace our unconventional wine selection to experience something new and interesting.  Here at the Barrel Room we’re happy to introduce and discuss the obscure wines that we proudly carry on our list.

Stop in and try our new menu this weekend as we celebrate our first year in business!

Cheers!
-Carolyn

2 comments:

  1. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not Bryan
    only be informed, but also entertained!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blog. Great post. It is very true, people must learn how to learn before they can learn. lol i know it sounds funny but its very true. . . Bryan

    ReplyDelete